Sunday, June 5, 2011

Last year I hit a deer with my Jeep.  First time ever – hopefully last.

It was one of those absolutely awful moments that literally smacked out of nowhere.  I was driving along a country road towards home around 10 o’clock on a warm early summer night when, out of nowhere there were… running deer - right THERE!  BOOMP!  I had exactly NO time to do anything about hitting one of them except… HITTING IT.  One moment serenity, the next... in a split second...
Stunned deer in headlights!

Many thoughts have run through my mind following this encounter with the inappropriately running deer.  How quickly life happens.  How quickly I could’ve died…
     had I been driving a small car,
           if it were a bigger deer,
                    if it would’ve been thrown through my window on impact, or…

But I didn’t.  I’m still here with things to do.  Yuh HUH!  *fist bump* 

So I put myself in the deer’s place.  Running… on a warm summer evening… running,
     running,
          running
                until the moment splits and…

*YIKES!*

Stunned deer in headlights!

Immediately the deer has 3 choices:
> become road kill
> bolt and get out of the way
> jump onto the moving vehicle and hang on for the wild ride.

And I think to myself…
How many times does “life” hit in a moment?  How many times are we simply living our days and…
     running,
          running,
                running
                         until the moment splits and…

*YIKES!*


Choice needed!
> Freeze?  Become road kill.
> Bolt – FAST – and get out of the way?
          Or……
> Jump and grab.  Grab that thing of life and grab it tight.  White-knuckle it and HANG ON – eyes wide open – adrenaline rushing – feet flying – for the wild ride.

There are times you know - immediately – in an instant – that the last choice is THE one and…
          when you jump,
it may take your breath away for the short term but, 
          when the car of life slows down just a bit…

You’ll probably look back and *sigh* be so glad you took the jump and...
          GRABBED for it…

No comments:

Post a Comment